Also called Cilantro- Coriander is an annual herb with edible leaves and seeds, a very common ingredient in cooking throughout the world. It is especially very popular in India, South Asia and Mediterranean region. Coriander is also known for its medicinal properties. Coriander leaves are very fragile so they should be washed very carefully before cooking. Read on to learn about top 15 health benefits of coriander.
Coriander Leaves Nutritional value:
Amazing phytonutrients provide most of the coriander leaves health benefits. Coriander seeds are actually great source of many phytonutrients. Coriander or cilantro is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, manganese, iron and magnesium as well. In addition, coriander leaves are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and protein. They also contain small amounts of calcium, phosphorous, potassium, thiamin, niacin and carotene.
Coriander Leaves Health Benefits:
Coriander leaves and coriander seeds provide many important health benefits. These are:
1. Coriander lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
2. A very good food for digestive system. Promotes liver functions and bowel movements.
3. Coriander is good for diabetes patients. It can stimulate the insulin secretion and lower the blood sugar levels.
4. Phytonutrients in coriander such as elemol, camphor, borneol, carvone, quercetin, keampferol and epigenin, give protection from free radical damage.
5. Vitamin K in it is good for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
6. The fat soluble vitamin and antioxidant- Vitamin A, protects from lung and cavity cancers.
7. Coriander contains anti-inflammatory properties. This is why it is good against inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
8. Coriander's anti-septic properties help to cure mouth ulcer.
9. Another important health benefit of coriander is that it is good for the eyes. Antioxidants in coriander prevent eye diseases and problems. It’s a good remedy in the treatment of conjunctivitis.
10. Coriander seeds are especially good for the menstrual flow.
11. It’s a very good herb to promote the nervous system. It can stimulate the memory.
12. A good food for the skin as it helps to cure skin problems such as eczema, pimples, blackheads and dry skin.
13. Coriander also contains fungicide and anthelmintic properties.
14. Anti-bacterial compound in coriander fights against Salmonella (a rod-shaped Gram-negative enterobacteria; cause typhoid fever and food poisoning) and protects from food borne diseases.
15. Natural compounds in coriander leaves remove toxic heavy metals from the body without any side effects. Accumulation of heavy metals can cause many dangerous health problems including memory loss and Alzheimer’s Disease.
In addition, coriander provides health benefits to the persons who are suffering from anemia. Coriander contains high amounts of iron, which is essential for curing anemia.
Those are the best 15 health benefits of coriander. Fresh and deep green coriander or cilantro leaves provide maximum health benefits. Soft and yellow leaves should be avoided.
Copyright © 2013 - sourav.ExpertsColumn.Com · All Rights Reserved | Powered by: ExpertsColumn.com